Thursday, November 12, 2009

Tulca 2009

The Tulca festival is held every year around Galway city. I suppose it's very similar in ambition to ev+a, organised annually around Limerick by the City Gallery there. Like ev+a, it pushes a programme based around video, installation and performance and using spaces outside the traditional art spaces. I've been feeling a really good vibe about Galway's art scene lately but these multimedia festivals tend to leave me a little cold for some reason so I just decided to go in to this with no preconceptions.

They didn't advertise opening night on the website, a shame because the free wine was pretty good for free wine, but a friend of mine was volunteering and we had decided met up to go drinking after. But yeah, it was in what used to be Habitat and it did a good job for the night of pretending to be a hip space in berlin r something. There was some neon on the wall and a video where some chick dumps her baby in a drawer by the side of the road (?) and for some reason all the kids seemed to be watching the slideshow of violent scenes which was pretty funny. Yeah okay I wasn't really paying attention.

Today on my lunch break I headed over to St. Nicholas where they were showing some small pieces that were really hard to find and the invigilator kindof had a fulltime job pointing them out to people. Must have been hard for her as I'd say she pointed out a video of an ear hidden under a grate to more than one tourist/person there to pray. Also some drawings that I didn't like, didn't really get this at all and it seemed a bit half formed/assed to be honest.

Also G126, this was pretty funny. I spent the bus home thinking I was gonna say something like "when did google maps become a universal signifier of planning your holiday?" and try and be all clever and knowing about it, but really I just thought this show was quite sweet. Like the raw materials were just the things that you google the night you book your flights, but it was pieced together with fun references from Steve Reich to Felix Gonzalez Torres. A big crinkled google printout of the atlantic, a stack of postcards, a video of a currach, upside down and probably fed through youtube at some point. Highlight for me was the one where they layered a line from "Galway Bay" from about as many versions as he could find on iTunes I'm guessing. Really woozy and beautiful and cute in its copping of 60's tape music. A good show, it made its concerns sculptural, assembling ideas about travel in actual spatial constructions, more than just a neat trick in my opinion.

I also legged it around the Arts Centre but they were closing and it looked boring.

No comments: